October update from the Board
· Upcoming Key dates
October 31st: 2nd instalment payment for program fees will be charged through IceReg
November 26: Learn to race long track #2 (registration will open 10 days prior)
November 28: AGM to approve financial statements
December 7: Mini-meet at Seton (registration will open 10 days prior)
December 12: Photo day for all groups
· SkinSuits: Skinsuits have arrived! If you ordered one, please contact Madeline at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for fitting and pick-up. We have ordered extras but priority will be given to those who ordered them first. Please e-transfer amount to email@example.com and include the name of the skater as well as the size. It is $420 for the Kevlar (cut proof suit required for those 11+) and $200 for the lycra suit (non cut proof).
· Band Communication Tool: Please make sure you have signed for your groups (A – F only) Band Communication tool so that you may connect with other parents, get reminders of important announcements & other. If you need another invitation, please contact Chrissy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Alberta Winter Games February 16-19, 2024 in Grande Prairie: There will be 12 athletes per zone, 3 males & 3 females aged 12-13 and 3 males & 3 females aged 14-15. Age is as of June 30, 2023. Athletes will be selected based on their best times in competition skated between August 1, 2023 and December 10, 2023. Athletes will be ranked based on their times for the 400m and 1000m for 12-13 years (400m + 1000m/2.5) and the 500m and the 1500, for the 14-15 years (500m +1500m/3). More information is available on www.albertawintergames.ca or from the Zone Sports Reps are: within Calgary city limits (Zone 3): Marika Nadal (Marika.Nadal@calgaryspeedskating.ca); outside Calgary city limits fall into Zone 2: Denise Wheelhouse (email@example.com)
· Youth Championships (11 – 13 years): Long-Track will be in Quebec City Feb. 9 – 11. Qualifying event is in Red Deer Jan. 20-21, with ABLT on Jan 6-7 as a back-up (only if weather does not permit some events to be held in Red Deer). Short Track will be in Medicine Hat on March 22-24. Qualifying events are Edmonton Nov. 11-12 (counts for 40%) and RU Fast Feb. 24-25 (counts for 60%). Skaters must attend both events to be selected. New this year, there are some minimum safety time standards participants must meet in order to attend:
|Safety Time Standard (400m)|
|Gender Category||Age 11||Age 12||Age 13|
· Neo-Juniors (14-15 years) & Junior (16-18 years) Championships Nov. 9-12 at the Oval, Calgary: The top 60 neo-Juniors and top 40 juniors will be selected. For the 14-15, it is based on the top 500m times skated between August 1, 2022 and October 22, 2023 and 500m + 1500m/3 skated between January 1, 2023 and October 22, 2023 for the 16-18. The deadlines are as follows:
|Time entry submissions||October 23, 2023|
|Posting Entry List||October 24, 2023|
|Registration / Payment||October 26, 2023|
|Posting Participant List||October 27, 2023|
|Replacement of skaters||November 6, 2023|
· Hotels for out-of-town competitions: Our VC Marketing, Chrissy has put together team hotels for the out-of-town competitions. We’ve tried to keep hotel costs reasonable and with a pool, waterslide and breakfast, if possible. Note that to benefit from special CSSA rates, there are deadlines by which to book hotels. The information has been shared on Band.
· Upcoming Competitions:
|SSA Competition Schedule: https://www.albertaspeedskating.ca/announcements-results-years/2023-2024|
|Oval Competition Schedule: https://oval.ucalgary.ca/speed-skating/competitioncalendar20232024|
October 28-29: Lethbridge competition – Lime Series
November 4: Red Deer – Lime Series
November 9-12: Neo-Junior/Junior Championships – Oval
November 10-12: Edmonton – Lime Series
November 17-19: Grande Prairie – Lime Series
November 25: Lloydminster – Lime Series
December 2: Canmore – Lime Series
December 16: Edmonton outdoor long track
· Next Casino Tuesday Dec. 26 & Wednesday Dec. 27: Our next casino is coming up! If you are available, please sign-up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/ACA59207. 10 volunteers are still needed, please sign-up if you are available.
· UR Store – CSSA Gear now available: Looking for jackets, hoodies, t-shirts, headwear, jackets, etc.? The new CSSA branded items are now available for purchase for kids, women and men on:https://urstore.ca/calgary-speed-skating-association_527601 Order and pay by credit card and your items will be delivered directly to your home.