July Update from the Board
· CSSA video: We will be filming a short video which with the help of the athletes and coaches at CSSA practices on July 22 & 24. Bring any CSSA gear you have (water bottles, buffs, tracksuits, etc.).
· Update re Covid-19 situation at the University: The Oval just recently re-opened for high performance athletes (Stage 1). The ice is scheduled to be ready for skating on July 22. CSSA is slated for Stage 2 of re-entry into the Oval which we are hoping will happen in early to mid-August. We will keep you updated regularly as the situation evolves. Keep your social distance and continue to stay safe!
· Special General Meeting: was held on Tuesday July 7, 2020 at the downtown Ramada hotel. CSSA’s by-laws were amended to allow for Annual or Special General Meetings to be held electronically. In addition, the following positions were elected:
President (2-year term): Josie Daub
Vice-President (1-year term): Robert Fenton
Registrar (2-year term): Jeremy Gizen
Treasurer (1-year term): Bart Jorna
VC Equipment (2-year term): Justin de Vlieg
VC Marketing (1-year term): Heleen Erasmus
VC Volunteers (2-year term): Brad Gilbert
VC Communications (1-year term): Madeline Sonik-Henderson
VC Officials (2-year term): Paul Chateau
VC Development (1-year term): Julie Egers
VC Competitions (2-year term): Allyson Hill
· Summer Program: We will continue to run the June-July program in August, with an online zoom session on Mondays, an outdoor session on Wednesdays at Terre des Jeunes school and an In-line skating session on Fridays at Bowness Park. Registration for the month of August is available on RAMP. Sessions will continue to be led by Sam Pollock, Marika Nadal, Ryan Hickman and Debby Fisher.
· Ice time for August: Summer short-track ice sessions will be held at the Brookfield YMCA in Seton in August and we will also try and secure some long-track ice sessions at the Oval in August. Five (5) Saturdays in August (August 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29) have been secured at Seton. Skaters may choose 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 ice sessions at a cost of $25 each. Sessions will be limited to 20 participants with Youth and Teen 1 groups at 8:00 – 9:15 AM and Teen 2 & 3 groups at 9:30 – 10:45 AM. Registration is on RAMP.
· Fall registration: CSSA will fall registration is currently open on RAMP with Early bird pricing ending on July 31. We are keeping prices the same as last year and will also reduce the financial burden by having 50% of the fees payable upon registration and the other 50% payable on October 31, 2020.
· CSSA competitions confirmed dates
January 30-31, 2021: Alberta long-track at Oval
March 6-7, 2021: RU Fast
· Upcoming Important Dates (tentative):
Tuesday September 1, 2020: Skate rental exchange, parking pass pick-up, speed suit & clothing sizing
Tuesday September 8, 2020: Start of all Fall programs
Saturday September 12, 2020: Welcome lunch for all families & distribution of 2019-20 awards
Week of September 21, 2020: Coaches will meet with parents on program overview